Friday, January 12, 2007

An Amazing Experience

Working on homes in Biloxi has been an amazing experience. The first home I worked on I had the opportunity to meet the family that lives in the home. It was moving to hear their story and how they were impacted by the hurricane. The water level came so high in the house that the family had to take refuge in their attic. They lost almost everything in their home, and were only able to save a few photo albums. We asked a young woman in the house what item she was most upset about losing. She explained that the hurricane changed her life and that she was simply just happy to be alive with her family. The family was so thankful for all the people that spent time working on their house.

On Tuesday (today) I was moved to a different home and had a different experience. We began exterior work on a historic home in Biloxi. Though we did not meet the family in the house it was still great to know that we were working to rebuild a historic part of the community. It was a beautiful day in Mississippi and our team worked hard to sand paint off from the house.

I am excited to continue working this week. To actually see the damage that has been done to Biloxi is sad. After a year and a half there is still a lot to do, and I am happy that I can be a part of helping Biloxi rebuild to the state it was before Hurricane Katrina. I certainly will never forget this trip, it has taught me to be thankful for what we have and the power of taking just one week of your life to help people hurt by Katrina.

~ Carolyn D.

No comments: